Wednesday, July 24, 2013

EDAD 536 Day 3

Poor use of Technology
How do we manage  the transfer and distribution of information around a "crisis" event? Is it even possible given the multitude of ways that people can share news electronically?

There are still those teachers that will not embrace the effective use of technology, in both communication and instruction. This often creates additional drain on the time of the administrator, having to use traditional paper communications with staff not willing  to read their email or look in the electronic calendar.

During the past school year I participated in dozens of walkthroughs with the principal of my building. After each walkthrough the principal sent the observation record to the observed teacher through the district email so the teacher had a copy, and asked for questions and feedback. Out of all the walkthroughs, he received only three teacher responses.


 G. Bundy Certified Google Teacher
Raleigh Hills K-8

Wow! Google custom search is awesome! You can create a site, give it a name, and link it to your web page and make it accessible to class.

Sugata Mitra on TED

The education system as we know it is obsolete. Is knowing obsolete?

"educe"   ...to draw out.

Daniel H. Pink: Drive

The Surprising Truth About what Motivates Us

John Medina at Jesuit HS on the 28th of September. How do we go?
Brain researcher.

http://www.johnmedina.com/ 

The evolutionary envelope of the brain:

Solve problems
Related to survival
Outdoors setting
In constant meteorological change
To do so in constant motion

Jane Mcgonigal (TED talks)



http://janemcgonigal.com/


Gamers succeed where scientists fail

Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose

 Project-based Learning
Student Source...For Students, by Students

https://sites.google.com/a/beaverton.k12.or.us/studentsource/



Students took CCSS targets and found games, etc that met the target.

Reflections

G really got my wheels turning! Student Works is the ultimate flip for instruction and student engagement. How do I take these ideas and bring them into the conversation in my district. After a year of serving as a leadership coach for the elementary school I have been asked to come back in two capacities: as a contract leadership coach and as a 0.4 FTE administrator at large. I meet with the superintendent and assistant superintendent next Tuesday to negotiate my role. I would like to incorporate much of my learning from this class into this role. For my final project in this class I am going to begin preparation of a presentation I will make to the district leadership team that will help "push" the district to bigger and better implementation of Google docs across the district, with a focus on the PLC collaborative teams K-12. I will be looking for constructive feedback from my colleagues about how to improve the presentation.

4 comments:

  1. Right there with you on how to get staff to use google docs...waiting to see your presentation as my mind was blown-up by the endless possibilities available (FOR FREE)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just this last spring I attended a ed. tech conference and discovered Celly. It's an online application for sharing information via email and text. One of the features of the application is the ability to send out a mass text message to everyone who is 'following' you. You can also set up the account to receive text messages from your followers too. It will show up in your Celly account where you can read and resend the messages to others if you want to. It's a pretty cool tool. My tech department hasn't approved it yet, but I'm hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G blew my mind too! He needs to teach a full course at Lewis & Clark or start own company providing professional development.

    Feel confident in your skills and the new technology used in class...use them in your school & district and people will follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My own company!! I like how you think!!!

    ReplyDelete